Special group activities at Wirksworth
Wirksworth pool is ideal for water-based exercise and enjoyment by individuals or special groups with sensory disabilities or those rehabilitating after surgery.
The pool is available to hire for special groups or 1-2-1 sessions and our experienced team tailor instruction to meet individual needs. We can provide for example:
- Stroke recovery exercises: challenging balance, building mobility, strength and confidence.
- Assist amputees to swim: adopting stroke techniques to compensate for missing limbs.
- Sensory and play sessions (with/without music): allowing users to enjoy a water experience.
- Lessons for blind or deaf pupils: with instructors giving guidance from within the water.
- Tailored exercises for individuals who struggle with conventional fitness levels.
- Rehabilitation exercises for individuals recovering from injury.
Our sessions can include swimming, water safety lessons, water aerobics and rehabilitation exercises.
- Our small pool is just 10 x 5 metres, with a constant depth of 1 metre: ideal for small groups with specific needs.
- Our water is heated to a comfortable (30-32c).
- We have easy access from changing rooms to pool.
- There is a low arousal environment: no crowds or excessive noise.
- Our small, consistent group of staff can adapt to the requirements of specific pool users.
- We have sensory and swimming toys available for use during sessions.
- We have a chairlift available for assisted entry.
We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your needs and provide a written quotation. Please contact our pool manager, Fleur Fern, on 01629 825704 or email us by clicking here.
As a charity, one of our aspirations is to provide free activities and sessions at Wirksworth pool for charities and groups working with disabled adults and children. Currently we offer (subject to availability) a free five week taster course. If you would like to register your interest in this possibility please contact us. We hope in the future to be able to extend this offer, subject to funding.
Unfortunately we have limited wheelchair access at this time due to the building design. We are committed to improving our facilities and are currently raising funds for an extension. Our plans are to include disabled changing and toilet facilities which will increase our ability to accommodate disabled groups.